The news site of Summit High School

Tiger Tracks

Beauty and the Beast: Original or New?

Ella Williams, Reporter

Everyone knows the story of Beauty and the Beast. It’s a childhood classic. The first publication of this tail dates all the way back to 1756! Most people however have seen the animated movie released 1991. Belle is one of the many Disney Princesses and seems to be favored in younger children. Can anything top the original? Well about two weeks ago they released a remake of this classic. Shall we compare them?

Well to begin, the visual effects in the new movie are amazing. Unlike the original, the producers made this movie unanimated. So there are real actors instead of animation which is easier to relate to. Also in the new movie there are a few new songs which is just more to enjoy while watching the movie. The new Beauty and the Beast also captures Belle’s past a lot more than the first one. While it’s really touching to see how Belle has grown up, it also might be a little hard or confusing for the younger children to understand because her mom dies.

One huge difference in the new movie was that there is a very large racial mix which was really nice to see. In a lot of the original Disney princess movies most and if not all of the characters are white. It’s really nice to see the racial equality in a children’s movie because then when they grow up it’s easier to accept everyone equally.

In the original movie, the songs are much better. They added new songs in the new movie and it just makes the movie longer and drag out for more than it needs to. The songs in the new movie are also very auto tuned and it ruins the songs.

One thing they both have in common that is a very good message to everyone is Gaston’s role. Gaston is supposed to be the most handsome and most respected man in town and he wants the girl he can’t have, Belle. Belle isn’t interested in him because he is full of himself and is controlling. Gaston has other girls begging for his attention but he doesn’t want them. I think this is a very important message that both movies capture because girls shouldn’t beg for any guy’s attention and you shouldn’t change yourself for anyone to like you.

So which movie is better? To be honest, I would have to say that nothing can beat the original Beauty and the Beast. Although the visuals are amazing in the new movie, the original is the perfect length and captures the story better.  

• Beauty and the Beast: Original or New?

Entertainment

The Caucasian Chalk Circle at Summit High

Entertainment

Celebrity Sexual Harassment

Entertainment

2017 Annual Airband

• Entertainment

Breckenridge Film Review

Entertainment

Fall Airband is on its way

• Entertainment

Homecoming 2017

Entertainment

Groundhog 2017

Entertainment

Technological Advances By: Maddy Duffy

Entertainment

Skating in the 80’s!

• Entertainment

Should There be a Winter Dance?

The news site of Summit High School
Beauty and the Beast: Original or New?