The news site of Summit High School

Tiger Tracks

The NFL Anthem Crisis

Photo Credit: Michael Dwyer-
Several New England Patriots players kneel during the national anthem before an NFL football game against the Houston Texans.

Photo Credit: Michael Dwyer- Several New England Patriots players kneel during the national anthem before an NFL football game against the Houston Texans.

AP

AP

Ridge Stimson, Editor

The National Anthem and Donald Trump were protested against this past Sunday and Monday.  One-hundred and thirty players total out of all thirty-two teams knelt.  The protest started with quarterback, Colin Kaepernick, who knelt back in the 2016 NFL season to protest against black oppression in the United States after the shooting of Michael Brown.  

This year, during the 2017 season, multiple players from a select few teams knelt during weeks one and two.  Donald Trump, who was outraged and disappointed at the kneeling of the National Anthem explained, “Leave the stadium, I guarantee, things will stop.”  Later to express his anger, Trump shouted, “Get that son of a b***h off the field right now, he’s fired.  He’s fired!”  

During the early football game this past Sunday in London, multiple players from the Baltimore Ravens and Jacksonville Jaguars knelt, or stood arm in arm to protest Donald Trump and the freedoms that American citizens.  It was not just players that did this, but owners and coaching staffs as well.  In addition, there were also a couple of teams that just stayed in their locker rooms during the National Anthem, such as the Pittsburgh Steelers and Tennessee Titans.

Many fans were outraged over this protest.  Stadiums such as Gillette Stadium and Lucas Oil Stadium were filled with boos.  Many fans were not happy.

Local students Cassidy Bargell and Griffin Chabot expressed their opinion on the NFL kneeling of the National Anthem.  Chabot, a senior at Summit High School, stated, “It’s our National Anthem and people need to respect it.  The players are getting booed and need to respect our National Anthem.  They shouldn’t kneel just because of racism.”  Cassidy Bargell had a similar view on the subject explaining, “I think that in the United States, everybody has the choice to protest peacefully however they like.  However, I also understand how much the flag and National Anthem mean to people who are discriminated and gone through hardships, and I say this because I play on the U.S. Rugby Olympic team.  I feel that I would always choose to stand no matter what, but I understand other people’s point of view on kneeling.”

The National Football League commissioner sent a letter along with several other team owners, regarding the fact that Mr. Trump should not have said what he said, and that it’s the player’s first amendment rights to kneel if they want to.  It will be interesting to see what week four of the NFL season has in store for Trump and fans.  Will this kneeling movement continue, or will it finally come to a stop?

• The NFL Anthem Crisis

Sports

The Breckenridge Bolts: The Newest Hockey Addition to Summit County Hockey

• The NFL Anthem Crisis

Features

A Season for the Record Books

• Features

DREAMers In Summit County

• Sports

Summit High School Girls Rugby Team 2017 Season

• The NFL Anthem Crisis

News

Pro Start Competition

• The NFL Anthem Crisis

News

Summit High School Speech and Debate State Qualifiers

• The NFL Anthem Crisis

Entertainment

Technological Advances By: Maddy Duffy

• The NFL Anthem Crisis

Opinion

We chai-ed it all

• The NFL Anthem Crisis

News

Five things you need to know about the Republican Healthcare Plan

• The NFL Anthem Crisis

Entertainment

Skating in the 80’s!

The news site of Summit High School
The NFL Anthem Crisis