Tiger Tracks

Net Neutrality Repeal

Net neutrality repeal vote protests in NYC.

Backbone Campaign

Caiden Bretz, Writer

On Thursday, December 14th, the FCC, or Federal Communications Commission, voted to repeal net neutrality. The vote ended 3-2 in favor of the repeal. The five voters were leaders of the FCC.

Net neutrality repeal vote protests in NYC. Taken by Backbone Campaign.

Ajit Pai, Brendan Carr, and Michael O’Reilly, all republicans, voted to repeal net neutrality. Democrats, Mignon Clyburn and Jessica Rosenworcel, of the FCC voted to keep net neutrality in place.

Net neutrality was originally put in place in 2015 by the Obama administration. Since then there have been multiple debates about altering or changing the rules. These net neutrality rules kept companies that provided internet service for customers regulated. The recent repeal has now given ISPs (Internet Service Providers) the power to choose what is available for their customers to view on the internet. The repeal will not go into effect until 2018.

Ever since talk of repealing net neutrality came up there have protests and riots around the country. On December 7th, people gathered in front of Verizon retail stores all across the country in protest of the vote to repeal net neutrality.  According to TechCrunch these protests were held and organized by DemandProgress, Fight For The Future and FreePress Action Fund.

The repeal caused some anger in Summit County. Angela Fisher, Summit County local, said, “I am deeply disappointed in the repeal of net neutrality. Giving the power of ISPs to determine what I am able to see on the internet feels like an infringement of my rights.”

The repeal has been one of the greatest changes to the modern world. It will affect almost the entire American population. Anyone who receives internet service from an ISP will notice changes in their service.

Some of the most popular ISPs have spoken and said that they will not block or throttle any websites. These ISPs include AT&T and Comcast. According to Cecilia Kang of the New York Times, suits are expected to be filed against the new rules regarding net neutrality.

Summit High School student Tyler Nakos shared his opinion, “I am really mad that I won’t be able to see some of the things I want to online. Now I can’t visit some of my favorite blogs.”

With the recent vote to repeal net neutrality it is clear that there will be noticeable differences in the way internet service is enjoyed and used by everyone everywhere in the country.

• Net Neutrality Repeal

Features

Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Colorado Baker

• Net Neutrality Repeal

Features

2017-2018 News in Review

• Net Neutrality Repeal

Features

Summit Teachers Share Details on Colorado Teacher Strike

• Net Neutrality Repeal

Features

Denver Mayor Accused of Sexual Harassment by Denver Police Detective

• Net Neutrality Repeal

Features

Carcinogens in Coffee Now Require a Warning to Consumers

• Net Neutrality Repeal

Features

Summit Scoop: February 2018

• Net Neutrality Repeal

Features

Turning Silverthorne to Goldthorne

• Net Neutrality Repeal

Features

Philly Takes the Win Too Far?

• Net Neutrality Repeal

Features

Worst Flu Season in Recorded History?

• Net Neutrality Repeal

Features

Controversy Surrounding Ajit Pai

The news site of Summit High School
Net Neutrality Repeal