Tiger Tracks

Trump Identifies Jerusalem as Israeli Capital, Announces US Embassy Relocation

US Embassy in Tel Aviv
Photo Courtesy of Sky News

US Embassy in Tel Aviv Photo Courtesy of Sky News

Katy Fischer, Staff Reporter

Donald Trump, the President of The United States of America, has announced the establishment of a United States Embassy, in Jerusalem from its current location in Tel Aviv. Shortly before, Trump declared, “I have determined that it is time to officially recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.”

To understand why this is so controversial, the history of the conflict between Palestine and Israel must be put into context. The Israeli-Palestinian conflict, which dates back thousands of years, is due to who controls land that both parties claim belongs to them. After World War 2, boundaries of many different countries were changed, causing problems to form.

Jerusalem, being such a significant and holy city to many cultures, has been identified as the capital by both the State of Israel and Palestine. However, Trump’s comment on officially identifying Jerusalem as the capital of Israel has caused an uproar. Soon after, Trump announced a new US embassy in Jerusalem, rather than the one that currently resides in Tel Aviv.

As Israel is the only Jewish state, the Israeli people are very pleased with Trump’s decision. Amos Yadlin, Israeli supporter and executive director of Tel Aviv University’s Institute for National Security Studies, noted, “The U.S. recognizing Jerusalem as Israel’s capital is a positive and important step, particularly amid Palestinian efforts to undermine the historic ties between the Jewish nation and the City of David.”

While many are supporting Trump’s campaign idea, Palestine and other Middle Eastern groups are already threatening deadly consequences if this is to take action. “President Trump tonight made the biggest mistake of his life,” stated Palestine Liberation Organization Secretary-General, Saeb Erekat. Erekat also spoke of how Trump prevented any chance of reaching a two-state solution between Palestine and Israel. Muslim groups are threatening to completely cut all ties with Israel if this embassy is to go through.

Many other U.S. presidents spoke of also moving the U.S. embassy but backed out because doing this could also impact the role that the United States plays as a mediator for other countries. “While previous presidents have made this a major campaign promise, they failed to deliver. Today, I am delivering,” mentioned Trump while announcing the relocation of the embassy.

The president of the nonprofit Zionist Organization of America, Morton Klein, stated, “It should be moved because we have to once and for all end this propaganda myth that Jerusalem is holy for Muslims.” If the embassy ends up being moved from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, this would take a minimum of three to four years, and, until then, the embassy will remain in Tel Aviv. However, in the meantime, religious, and nationalist protests have already broken out around the world.  

• Trump Identifies Jerusalem as Israeli Capital, Announces US Embassy Relocation

News

FBI Agent Loses Gun at Bar in Denver, Fires Into Crowd

News

First Women Too Receive Driver License In Saudi Arabia

News

Lead treatments in Denver water

News

Shooter Injures Three and Takes Own Life Near YouTube HQ

News

How Much Data Did Facebook Steal from You?

News

Quick Decline of Giraffe Population

News

Gun Violence in 2018

News

Deadly Chemicals Found in New Study on E-cigarettes

News

Martin Shkreli and The Wu-Tang Album

News

Colorado Police Deaths of 2018

The news site of Summit High School