Tiger Tracks

The Worsening Crisis in Yemen

According+to+the+UN%2C+more+than+60%25+of+the+deaths+in+Yemen+have+resulted+from+the+airstrikes.+
According to the UN, more than 60% of the deaths in Yemen have resulted from the airstrikes.

BBC

BBC

Molly Caldwell, Journalist

Yemen, a country where nearly 80% of the country’s population lacks basic human necessities such as food and water, is experiencing “the worst humanitarian disaster in half a century”. Yemen is suffering from the worst cholera outbreak in history, and the frequent airstrikes by Saudi Arabia have killed thousands.

In February of 2015, the Houthi rebel group (a group supporting the Shiite muslim minority in Yemen) controlled Saana, the largest city in Yemen. The previous group in control, Hadi, fled to a poor city known as Aden. Saudi Arabia watched the takeover carefully. Saudi Arabia is majority Sunni Muslim and, according to The Washington Post, was distrusting of the “Shiite group [gaining] control of a border country, particularly one allied with its enemy Iran.”

Saudi Arabia has since joined eight other Arab states and launched an airstrike campaign to restore power to Hadi. According to The Yemen Data Project, the campaign has launched 8,600 separate incidences, 3,577 of which have targeted military sites, 942 targeting residential areas and 1,882 are unknown. The UN humanitarian aid official reported that 10,000 Yemenis have been killed while 40,000 have been injured.

At the end of 2017, Red Cross predicted that 1 million Yemenis had contracted cholera, which is “an acute, diarrheal illness caused by infection of the intestine with the bacterium.” According to the OCHA, cholera is entirely preventable and no lives should be lost to it. The disease is spreading at this rate in Yemen due to the famine. The speed at which it is spreading is unprecedented and nearly impossible for health officials to respond due to the state of the county and lack of pay for doctors.

• The Worsening Crisis in Yemen

News

FBI Agent Loses Gun at Bar in Denver, Fires Into Crowd

• The Worsening Crisis in Yemen

News

First Women Too Receive Driver License In Saudi Arabia

• The Worsening Crisis in Yemen

News

Lead treatments in Denver water

• The Worsening Crisis in Yemen

News

Shooter Injures Three and Takes Own Life Near YouTube HQ

• The Worsening Crisis in Yemen

News

How Much Data Did Facebook Steal from You?

• The Worsening Crisis in Yemen

News

Quick Decline of Giraffe Population

• The Worsening Crisis in Yemen

News

Gun Violence in 2018

• The Worsening Crisis in Yemen

News

Deadly Chemicals Found in New Study on E-cigarettes

• The Worsening Crisis in Yemen

News

Martin Shkreli and The Wu-Tang Album

• The Worsening Crisis in Yemen

News

Colorado Police Deaths of 2018

The news site of Summit High School
The Worsening Crisis in Yemen