Tiger Tracks

The Worsening Crisis in Yemen

According+to+the+UN%2C+more+than+60%25+of+the+deaths+in+Yemen+have+resulted+from+the+airstrikes.+
According to the UN, more than 60% of the deaths in Yemen have resulted from the airstrikes.

BBC

BBC

Molly Caldwell, Journalist

Yemen, a country where nearly 80% of the country’s population lacks basic human necessities such as food and water, is experiencing “the worst humanitarian disaster in half a century”. Yemen is suffering from the worst cholera outbreak in history, and the frequent airstrikes by Saudi Arabia have killed thousands.

In February of 2015, the Houthi rebel group (a group supporting the Shiite muslim minority in Yemen) controlled Saana, the largest city in Yemen. The previous group in control, Hadi, fled to a poor city known as Aden. Saudi Arabia watched the takeover carefully. Saudi Arabia is majority Sunni Muslim and, according to The Washington Post, was distrusting of the “Shiite group [gaining] control of a border country, particularly one allied with its enemy Iran.”

Saudi Arabia has since joined eight other Arab states and launched an airstrike campaign to restore power to Hadi. According to The Yemen Data Project, the campaign has launched 8,600 separate incidences, 3,577 of which have targeted military sites, 942 targeting residential areas and 1,882 are unknown. The UN humanitarian aid official reported that 10,000 Yemenis have been killed while 40,000 have been injured.

At the end of 2017, Red Cross predicted that 1 million Yemenis had contracted cholera, which is “an acute, diarrheal illness caused by infection of the intestine with the bacterium.” According to the OCHA, cholera is entirely preventable and no lives should be lost to it. The disease is spreading at this rate in Yemen due to the famine. The speed at which it is spreading is unprecedented and nearly impossible for health officials to respond due to the state of the county and lack of pay for doctors.

• The Worsening Crisis in Yemen

News

Female Sea Turtle Crisis in the Great Barrier Reef

• The Worsening Crisis in Yemen

Features

Net Neutrality Repeal

• The Worsening Crisis in Yemen

Features

Controversy Surrounding Ajit Pai

• The Worsening Crisis in Yemen

News

Trump’s 2017 Tax Reform

• The Worsening Crisis in Yemen

Features

Supreme Court Hears Case of Colorado Baker Jack Phillips

• The Worsening Crisis in Yemen

News

Trump Identifies Jerusalem as Israeli Capital, Announces US Embassy Relocation

• The Worsening Crisis in Yemen

Features

Fort Collins Leads Public Internet Charge

• The Worsening Crisis in Yemen

News

Trump’s 2017 Year in Review

• The Worsening Crisis in Yemen

News

Fatal I-70 Crash

• The Worsening Crisis in Yemen

News

New York City Attempted Terrorist Attack

The news site of Summit High School
The Worsening Crisis in Yemen