Tiger Tracks

Colorado Police Deaths of 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

Colorado Police Deaths of 2018

BRIGHTON, CO - JANUARY 25: A flag hung down from Truck 53 and Tower 51 to form the archway as Brighton police officers stood at attention as the procession of police cars go by. The hearse carrying Adams County SheriffÕs Office Deputy Heath Gumm arrived at the Adams county coroner on January 25, 2018 in Brighton, Colorado. Gumm was shot in the chest by a suspect who fired several rounds from a handgun about 7 p.m.(Photo by John Leyba/The Denver Post)

DP

DP

DP

Molly Caldwell, Journalist

In 2018, Colorado has seen a shocking amount of police deaths. In January and February, the deaths of two police officers were nearly a week apart.

On January 24th, a police officer  responded to an assault case, but was shot and killed. According to The Denver Post, residents of the area were urged to stay inside and away from windows and doors. The officer that passed away was identified as Heath Gumm the next morning; Gumm was shot in the chest multiple times and passed away in the Denver Health Medical Center.

According to Fox 31 News, “Dreion Martise Dearing, 22, was also charged with one count each of first-degree burglary, possession of a weapon by a previous offender and third-degree assault.”

Not much later, on February 5th, police responded to a motor vehicle theft that resulted in one deputy being killed and the other four wounded. According to CBS News, Deputy Micah Flick was was killed on the line of duty. Deputy Flick is survived by his 7-year-old twins and his wife.

Governor Hickenlooper made a statement saying, “A senseless act of violence has claimed the life of another member of Colorado’s law enforcement family.

On January 25, a flag hung over a street in Denver as police officers stood at attention as a procession of police cars drove by in honor of Deputy Gumm. Many more processions are expected to honor other police officers that have died on the line of duty. 

• Colorado Police Deaths of 2018

News

FBI Agent Loses Gun at Bar in Denver, Fires Into Crowd

• Colorado Police Deaths of 2018

News

First Women Too Receive Driver License In Saudi Arabia

• Colorado Police Deaths of 2018

News

Lead treatments in Denver water

• Colorado Police Deaths of 2018

News

Shooter Injures Three and Takes Own Life Near YouTube HQ

• Colorado Police Deaths of 2018

News

How Much Data Did Facebook Steal from You?

• Colorado Police Deaths of 2018

News

Quick Decline of Giraffe Population

• Colorado Police Deaths of 2018

News

Gun Violence in 2018

• Colorado Police Deaths of 2018

News

Deadly Chemicals Found in New Study on E-cigarettes

• Colorado Police Deaths of 2018

News

Martin Shkreli and The Wu-Tang Album

• Colorado Police Deaths of 2018

News

Responses to Florida School Shooting

The news site of Summit High School
Colorado Police Deaths of 2018