Tiger Tracks

Ray Rice and the Indefinite Suspension

Ray Rice and his wife at a press conference.

David Gilmartin

David Gilmartin

Ridge Stimson, Staff Reporter

The NFL has rules and regulations that all NFL players need to follow.  Most football players follow the rules and regulations, but there are always the select few that don’t, one of these players being Ray Rice.  Ray Rice and his then-fiancé were arrested on February 15, 2014 at an Atlantic City Hotel.  Both were charged for assault.  Baltimore Raven’s director of security Darren Sanders saw a video of what had happened in the Atlantic City Hotel elevator and was terrified.  This case is one of the biggest issues provoking the NFL commissioner in the 94 years that the NFL has been around for.

After Ray Rice and Janay got arrested, the Baltimore Raven’s executives started a campaign determining whether Ray Rice should be charged with assault, miss a certain amount of games, or be released from the Ravens.  “If I had said to Ray and his attorney, I can’t keep you on this team until I see that tape — I would have seen the tape and I would have sent it to Roger,” Biscotti said.  Just like most players, Ray Rice would miss six games, but the owner of the Ravens, Steve Biscotti, would not allow that and tried to convince NFL commissioner Goodell to have Ray Rice only miss two games.  On July 24, Goodell allowed Ray Rice to miss only two games, which relieved the Baltimore Ravens executives.  John Harbaugh then saw the video and wanted Ray Rice cut from the team, but because Steve Biscotti is the owner of the team, he denied Harbaugh’s request.  Finally the video went public and the whole world saw the elevator video.  The video caught many viewers attention along with Roger Goodell.  Steve Bisciotti had no other choice but to end Ray Rice’s contract.  This was the end of an NFL legend.

It was on February 15, 2014 when Ray Rice took his then-fiancé Janay out to the Revel Casino Hotel for Valentine’s Day.  The night went well with a sit down dinner and a trip to the casino bar.  There at the Casino bar, is where both Ray Rice and Janay became very intoxicated.  Ray Rice and Janay then walked to the elevator and were in an argument about the wedding guest list.  As they went into the elevator Ray Rice became very agitated and swung a left hook at his then-fiancé, Janay, who then blacked out.  Ray Rice dragged Janay out of the elevator and took her shoes off.  The video then stopped.  The Baltimore Ravens were devastated at the arrest not seeing the full video until early September.  Immediately the Ravens signed one of the best lawyers in Philadelphia named Michael Diamondstein.  They hired him so that Ray Rice wouldn’t have to go on trial.  “I made a huge mistake. I hit my wife, and I’m so sorry. But I want to tell you, please don’t focus on trying to be the kind of man I was. Focus on being a better man than I was.” said Ray Rice.   If Ray Rice were to go to trial then the video of him hitting his wife would be open for the public to see.  One of the Ravens executives then put Rice into a New Jersey’s pretrial intervention program.  “Every single football decision we make, we work together. Just like every football decision,” Harbaugh said. “You get together, you hash it out. Ozzie uses the term scrimmaging. You scrimmage it out, everybody’s got their own opinions.”  Everything seemed to be going fine until the beginning of the football season when the video was then opened to the public.  Ray Rice was overwhelmed, and that is when the Baltimore Ravens released him.  Many public viewers were disappointed in Ray Rice, but a lot of the viewers on social media are saying that the NFL is hiding something that the public doesn’t know about.  Maybe Ray Rice is partially innocent?  All of this still leads up to the question of whether or not Roger Goodell knew about the video before anyone else, and if Goodell is following his own discipline rules and regulations of the NFL.

For more information check out these links:

CBS News Coverage 

ESPN Coverage

• Ray Rice and the Indefinite Suspension

Sports

Washington Capital and Vegas Knights racing for the Stanley Cup

Sports

Uncle Drew Movie Preview

Sports

NBA FInals

Sports

Rockies Strong Start

Sports

League Track Meet Follow Up

Sports

Bronco’s 2018 Draft Results

Sports

MLB Opening Day

Sports

MLS Opening Weekend

Sports

Villanova Wins Again

Sports

2018 Denver Auto Show

The news site of Summit High School
Ray Rice and the Indefinite Suspension