Tiger Tracks

The Top Ten Most Played Sports in the World

Manchester City playing against Liverpool in England.

Paul Greenwood

Paul Greenwood

Ridge Stimson, Staff Reporter

There are thousands of sports that are played around the world.  Most of which, people don’t even know about.  Yes, there are many sports, but there are only a few that are played the most worldwide.

1. Soccer

2. Cricket

3. Tennis

4. Basketball

5. Table Tennis

6. Hockey

7. Volleyball

8. Rugby

9. Golf

10. Baseball

Coming in as the number one sport played by mankind is soccer.  Soccer is a sport that is played all over the globe.  Like many other sports, it requires a ball, and is kicked around until someone scores by kicking it in the back of a net, guarded by a goalie.  This sport originated in China in the 3rd and 2nd B.C.  It wasn’t until later on when England started the early growth of modern soccer.  The sport didn’t just stay in England and China, but it started to grow and spread to other countries.  Soccer is one of the most played sports in the world because of how many countries play it.  Also there is a World Cup played every four years for soccer, where every national team plays against each other to win a shiny trophy.  Surprisingly enough,  many Americans are smart enough to know that soccer is the most played sport in the world. “ I believe that soccer is the first most played sport,” listed Priya from Summit High School.

Coming in second place, is the sport cricket.  Cricket is a sport mostly played in the South Asia and Europe.  Even though cricket is hardly even known in the U.S, it is still very popular in most other countries.  “WHAT!?  I hardly even knew cricket was a sport,” explained Everet from Summit High School.  A game of cricket lasts for three to five days.  Every one of those days, they play for six hours straight.  The game is played with two sticks about ten feet apart.  The bull ringer (pitcher) then throws a ball overhand with their arm straight, at the sticks (wicket).  The ball must hit the ground before it reaches the hitter.  A batter then hits the ball and runs from stick to stick with a partner on the other stick.  If an outfielder catches the ball then it is an out.  If at any time the ball hits the sticks (wickets) before the hitters cross a line then that is an out.  The game is very unique, and if an American heard of this sport they would think of it as similar to baseball.

Coming in third place is tennis.  Tennis is a very unique sport where you must hit a yellow ball over a net and inside of a boundary.  If the ball goes outside of the boundary then your opponent gets a point.  If the ball bounces more than once than your opponent also gets the point.  If the ball passes you then your opponent gets the point, and the same thing happens if the ball hits the net.  In addition, there is the French Open, Australian Open, U.S. Open, and Wimbledon.  All of these are famous tennis tournaments in which only the best of the best tennis players compete for a trophy and fame.  Tennis, stereotypically played by retired or older people, is slowly gaining popularity in the U.S. every year.  The rest of the top ten most played sports are mainly played in America (except for rugby, which is mostly played in Africa and Australia); especially baseball, which is the sport that America created itself.

• The Top Ten Most Played Sports in the World

Sports

Washington Capital and Vegas Knights racing for the Stanley Cup

Sports

Uncle Drew Movie Preview

Sports

NBA FInals

Sports

Rockies Strong Start

Sports

League Track Meet Follow Up

Sports

Bronco’s 2018 Draft Results

Sports

MLB Opening Day

Sports

MLS Opening Weekend

Sports

Villanova Wins Again

Sports

2018 Denver Auto Show

The news site of Summit High School