Tiger Tracks

March Madness

Ridge Stimson

Kate Wasson looking up March Madness

Ridge Stimson, Staff Reporter

On March 17th the madness begins.  People get ready to cheer on their teams, and around a million people every year fill out brackets to see who will get every game right.  March, is basketball month.  With over a hundred NCAA teams, only 32 get to advance, and usually these teams are the best of the best.  This year the Top Five teams are 1. Kentucky 2. Duke 3. Villanova 4. Wisconsin 5. Virginia.  These five teams are most likely to win the final championship, but then again you have the underdogs which win some years as well, just like the 7th seed Uconn in 2014 when they beat the number 1 seed Florida.  March Madness is one of the most popular sporting events that takes place in the United States.  It is also probably the biggest tournament in the nation if not the world.

During the tournament it starts out with 32 teams.  After the 32 teams have played the winning teams move on to the sweet sixteen where only 16 teams remain.  After the sixteen teams have played the remaining teams move on to the elite eight.  The most commonly watched part of the tournament takes place after the elite eight when only four teams remain; this part of the tournament is known as the Final Four.  This is when the four best teams go at each other in the race for the championship.  The Final Four and the championship is almost just as watched as the Super Bowl.  In the end the national champions are crowned with the MVP and the national title trophy.  After the tournament is over, the Naismith trophy is awarded to the best college basketball player in the nation, no matter if they won the national title or the MVP.  This award is almost just as similar as the Heisman trophy in college football.

Now, you have the fans who watch live and at home.  Every year a bracket is filled out online and physically on a piece of paper.  Usually everyone around the U.S. will fill out to see who will win every game, and whoever gets the closet or gets every game right then they will win money.  Every team that makes the tournament and has a home game will usually sell out. “I love watching college basketball. March Madness is one of the unique things in sports where good teams that nobody’s heard of Cinderella stories come out of nowhere to win a few games. It’s something the nation really embraces.” Bobby Carpenter

“It’s awesome. I haven’t been to the tournament. For all the girls on the team who haven’t been to the tournament it’s just, ‘wow, you’re part of March Madness.’ You strive to get to the NCAA Tournament.” Breanne Watson

After every game that is won the fans will almost every time rush onto the court if their team wins.  Winning in the tournament is not only the best feeling for the fans, but the players as well.  In conclusion, March Madness truly is the craziest month of the year.  

• March Madness

Sports

Washington Capital and Vegas Knights racing for the Stanley Cup

• March Madness

Sports

Uncle Drew Movie Preview

• March Madness

Sports

NBA FInals

• March Madness

Sports

Rockies Strong Start

• March Madness

Sports

League Track Meet Follow Up

• March Madness

Sports

Bronco’s 2018 Draft Results

• March Madness

Sports

MLB Opening Day

• March Madness

Sports

MLS Opening Weekend

• March Madness

Sports

Villanova Wins Again

• March Madness

Sports

2018 Denver Auto Show

The news site of Summit High School
March Madness