The news site of Summit High School

Tiger Tracks

Boys Soccer Lose Away at Steamboat

Photo Credit: Jeffery K Wilson

Photo Credit: Jeffery K Wilson

Photo Credit: Jeffery K Wilson

Peter Haynes, Writer

The Summit Boys Soccer team’s playoff hopes took a bad turn last Thursday with a rough loss at Steamboat.  Summit was hoping to pick up a win and boost their playoff hopes against a highly ranked opponent.  Coach Tommy Gogolen was enthusiastic about the match; when asked about it, he responded, ”We have a great group of boys that can take us far this year, but we need to upset some good teams to get there. Today is a great place to start.”

The game was evenly matched, with Summit perhaps being the better team going in, but halfway through the first half, Steamboat struck first. Summit’s Peter Haynes gave away a penalty from a poorly timed challenge. The ensuing penalty was saved by keeper, Kyle Wertz, but the rebound was put into the goal by Steamboat’s top scorer, Murphy Bohlman. The first half ended and the Sailors were up 1-0.

The second half was underway and Summit had the momentum right from the kick-off. From all this pressure, Steamboat fouled in dangerous position for Summit.  Central midfielder, Jackson Stone, stepped up to deliver the ball. The ball sailed to a great position back post and was finished with a thumping header from Connor Craig.

With the game was all tied up heading into the final 10 minutes and both teams playing equally, it appeared likely to go into overtime. A cheap giveaway in the middle from Summit led to another foul by Haynes just outside the box. A yellow card was brandished, and Steamboat stepped up to the ball.

The free kick was blasted down the middle, beating back up goalie, Chris Lopez, who was on the field following an injury to Kyle Wertz. With five minutes left in the game, Summit pushed hard to find an equalizer, but the final whistle blew and Summit picked up their 3rd loss of the season.

With a playoff spot now harder than ever for the Tigers, they will need to win almost every game from here on out. When asked about Summit’s chances for playoffs, play maker and central midfielder, Evan Wolfson, replied, “It’s still a very big possibility. We just had an off night on Thursday and we’ll be sure to push hard from now on for playoffs. We know what we need to do now and how to improve. We’ll be back looking for a big win next Thursday against Glenwood.”

• Boys Soccer Lose Away at Steamboat

News

The NFL Anthem Crisis

• Boys Soccer Lose Away at Steamboat

Sports

The Breckenridge Bolts: The Newest Hockey Addition to Summit County Hockey

• Boys Soccer Lose Away at Steamboat

Features

A Season for the Record Books

• Features

DREAMers In Summit County

• Sports

Summit High School Girls Rugby Team 2017 Season

• Boys Soccer Lose Away at Steamboat

News

Pro Start Competition

• Boys Soccer Lose Away at Steamboat

News

Summit High School Speech and Debate State Qualifiers

• Boys Soccer Lose Away at Steamboat

Entertainment

Technological Advances By: Maddy Duffy

• Boys Soccer Lose Away at Steamboat

Opinion

We chai-ed it all

• Boys Soccer Lose Away at Steamboat

News

Five things you need to know about the Republican Healthcare Plan

The news site of Summit High School
Boys Soccer Lose Away at Steamboat