Tiger Tracks

Washington Capital and Vegas Knights racing for the Stanley Cup

Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals

Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals

Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals

Kai Theriault, Writer

The Vegas Golden Knights and the Washington Capitals are currently fighting for the Stanley Cup in the finals. This is highly anticipated because this is the first time in franchise history that two teams that have never won the Stanley Cup face off. 

The Vegas Golden Knights are the newest addition to the NHL, making their debut this 2017-2018 season, and what a debut they made by taking first place during the regular season. The most mesmerizing thing is this is the first time any new team in history has made it this far in the Stanley Cup finals. So far, the Vegas Golden Knights have swept teams left and right, from the Las Angeles Kings to the Winnipeg Jets. They have shown no sign of stopping until they faced off against the Washington Capitals who are currently beating them 3-1 in the serious.

The Washington Capitals have sustained the lead of the series at three to one in an epic game that ended with the Capitals winning 6 to 2. This means that the Capitals are just one game away from winning the Stanley Cup for the first time. According to the Washington Post, “Washington took a three-games-to-one series lead as Vegas hit three posts, perhaps retribution for all the bad bounces that have previously haunted the franchise.” The Golden Knights have been seeing their luck slowly run out.

Hopefully the Washington Capitals know that there is a lot of time left in the series before the ice melts in Vegas. One of the greatest things is that “Washington Capitals center Evgeny Kuznetsov was back in the lineup for Saturday’s Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final against the Vegas Golden Knights.” Also in the report by the New York Times  was that Kuznetsov, “leads the NHL in points this postseason with 25, one ahead of linemate Alex Ovechkin. He totaled 27 goals and 83 points during the regular season.” This is what has given the Capitals a boost in the last couple of games, as Kuznetsov is one of the lead players on the Capitals.

One of the biggest changes in the 2017-2018 is the betting that is going on with the NHL. The Chicago Tribune stated, “Instead of flying to Las Vegas or betting illegally, fans in Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington can make a short drive to legally wager in Delaware on the NBA Finals, the Stanley Cup Final.” As more states accept legal betting, it is becoming more common. 

There is only one thing that hangs in the balance, which is time, as there is still plenty of hockey left to play. Things can still change in the coming games. One sure thing is that history will be made as one franchise will be able to win their first Stanley Cup.

• Washington Capital and Vegas Knights racing for the Stanley Cup

Sports

Uncle Drew Movie Preview

Sports

NBA FInals

Sports

Rockies Strong Start

Sports

League Track Meet Follow Up

Sports

Bronco’s 2018 Draft Results

Sports

MLB Opening Day

Sports

MLS Opening Weekend

Sports

Villanova Wins Again

Sports

2018 Denver Auto Show

Sports

U.S cross country skiers make history in Pyeongchang

The news site of Summit High School